Sometimes mistaken for patriotism

Creator: robbidos

GaryO - October 31, 2012, 9:57 am,
I always wondered why we thought we were the ‘Americans’…LBJ, ‘My fellow Americans’….Hello-o-o, there’s folks north and south of us.
GaryO - October 31, 2012, 9:58 am,
. It’d be like Hu Jintao addressing the Chinese people; ‘My fellow Asians’. Good point, rob, but the verbiage is rather harsh
Mooooooooooooooooooo - October 31, 2012, 10:11 am,
The one that bothers me is when the U.S president is referred to as "leader of the free world". I'm free, he's not my leader. Hubris.
Airman - October 31, 2012, 12:04 pm,
ahh, but our country is named the United States of America.. hence, we are American. People of Brazil are... Brazilians. Canada could have chosen to be the Cold Provinces of America way back when.. it's by country over here, not continent.
GaryO - October 31, 2012, 1:38 pm,
It do have a better ring to it….’My fellow United Statians’, or ‘My fellow Warmer than Canada North Americans’ just doesn’t quite seem to work, However, ‘Hey, richer than anybody else dudes’, has a nice ring to it...but you’d have to hurry with that one.
robbidos - November 1, 2012, 2:35 pm,
The country is the United States and America is a modifier stating location. We should actually be called something along the lines of Statesmen
Mooooooooooooooooooo - October 31, 2012, 3:15 pm,
It would have been hard to name the country after several independent states decided to band together. "United States" implies cooperation and unity. And it just happens to be on the American continent. I have no problem with that.
Mooooooooooooooooooo - October 31, 2012, 3:17 pm,
Canada just means village. We asked the Indians what this place was called and they said Canada. In retrospect we could have been more specific, or at least asked a few more people.
robbidos - November 1, 2012, 2:26 pm,
lol i did not know that, but its awesome considering they weren't Indian :)
GaryO - November 1, 2012, 3:05 pm,
Ah yes, The Village People...
steve1961 - November 2, 2012, 10:35 am,
There was also a theory that Canada was placed on the map by the Spanish as Ca Nada...meaning "Nothing there".
raygun505 - November 4, 2012, 5:11 am,
To the creator of this stupid idiotic garbage...I would be more than happy to have you try to talk that crap to my face, because it would give me an excuse to bash yours in.
GaryO - November 4, 2012, 6:35 am,
Ray, you really shouldn’t hold back like that. Just let it al-l-l-l-l-l out….you’ll feel much better…… at another site perhaps ……BTW, does your mother know you’re on her computer?
rerun - November 4, 2012, 9:00 am,
ray - step back.
robbidos - November 4, 2012, 12:55 pm,
All i could read out of that was "by the power of INTERNET...I am Troll!" If you area US citizen, then I say you are welcome. Welcome for the oath I have taken 4 times over the past 13 years to defend your freedom of speech.
Hawamleh - January 21, 2013, 7:19 am,
Bet he was not expecting that...