$42,000,000,000.00 SHORTFALL

Creator: Mark

Canuck - April 18, 2009, 10:40 am,
Ask any native american and he will tell you there are about 300 million illegal immigrants in his country.
Passer By - April 18, 2009, 11:03 am,
Calling you a Canadian Moron would be an insult to morons everywhere.
WTFO - April 19, 2009, 1:36 am,
Mark, do you mean to say that paying for millions of people who have no legal right to be in the US caused CA too much money? Does that mean the Obama entitlement state could do the same thing on the national level? I guess Dems don't care as long as they
WTFO - April 19, 2009, 1:36 am,
get them voting rights so they can retain power indefinitely.
know_it_all - April 22, 2009, 4:08 pm,
Obama doesn't care if we can afford it. He hates this country. Hence his refusal to salute our Flag and his attendence to a radical church run by an anti-American kook. It's why he closed Gitmo. It's also why he picked Joe Biden as his VP
Mark - May 14, 2009, 10:55 pm,
It seems that all of the below comments hit the nail on the head with the exception of the first one. Canuck - It seems to me that Lief Erickson, Chris Columbus, et al, complied with the immigration laws of the time. Now let's ask the native Canadians.
Canuck - May 14, 2009, 11:12 pm,
No doubt the native Canadians would agree that there were no need for immigration laws until the Europeans arrived.
Mark - May 14, 2009, 11:17 pm,
So they didn't have laws and see what happened? Now we have immigration laws but we don't enforce them. We leave the borders open and reward illegals with welfare. A nation without border control isn't much of a nation at all.
Canuck - May 14, 2009, 11:26 pm,
That's very true. In fact I worry about who might be coming over our border all the time. I just think those people want a better life just like your family and mine did when they came to north america.
Mark - May 19, 2009, 9:30 am,
The difference is that my family, and presumably yours, came to our countries legally. They worked for everything they got. Mine learned to speak English and paid taxes. Illegals do none of the above yet reap the benefits of my tax dollars.
Mark - May 19, 2009, 9:33 am,
The United States is a country mad up of immigrants. I would welcome with open arms anyone looking a better life who comes here legally, works and pays taxes, learns to speak English, and then works toward gaining full citizenship.
Mark - May 19, 2009, 9:35 am,
typo: mad = made missing word: "looking FOR a better..."
culos - May 19, 2009, 10:10 am,
The Netherlands has a fair share of immigrants as well but we went one better. Anyone that wants to settle here has to learn a bit of our language and culture and pass a test before they are admitted.
LogicDude - May 19, 2009, 10:59 am,
5 Green-card-carrying Lions Mark!
Jmac0585 - May 19, 2009, 12:18 pm,
My wife is an ER nurse. When the "Swine Flu" broke, she said that had a "Hispanic Panic." Apparently when any bad medical news hits, the non-insured (read: illegal) hit the ER. "Soy sano, yo estoy preocupado de la gripe de puercos." You pay for it, CA!
Mark - May 20, 2009, 12:40 pm,
Thanks LD.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 12:40 pm,
Jmac - That's why I can't understand all this BS about National Healthcare. No one is ever turned away from an American Hospital. If you have Health Insurance, great. If not, they treat you anyway. If you're illegal, I think the govt. pays faster.
Haarakkon - May 20, 2009, 4:03 pm,
The problem with our system, IMHO, is the absolutely ridiculous cost of it, not the service provided. Some might say that the years dedicated to education have to be paid for, but the bottom line is that the healthcare industry is no longer intersted in
Haarakkon - May 20, 2009, 4:06 pm,
healing people, but in making money. Is this a trait of Western medical treatments and philosophies, or is it a relatively new development unique to the US? I tend to think there's a little of both at the root of the issue.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 4:10 pm,
I agree that the cost of Healthcare is way out of line but if you think it's expensive now, just wait until it's free. Doctors should be paid well to compensate for their initial cost of medical school and also for their acquired healing talents. But...
Mark - May 20, 2009, 4:11 pm,
...when your in a hospital, there is absolutely no reason they should charge you $25.00 for an aspirin.
Haarakkon - May 20, 2009, 4:20 pm,
Absolutely. Medical malpractice insurance is ridiculously expensive, too. Somewhere along the line we became a nation of finger-pointers and lawsuit-happy sociopaths. I think the real solution is to have a quarter of the doctors and a tenth of the lawyers
Sean - May 20, 2009, 5:19 pm,
*gasp* a tenth of the lawyer's what? Just asking, not out of any self interest or anything ....
BoneCD - May 20, 2009, 6:23 pm,
A friend of mine is an emergency med Doc and he told me that 80% of the test that he runs is because the Hospital demands it to cover their a** from law suites. *gasp* no ****!!!
Haarakkon - May 20, 2009, 7:23 pm,
We need about a tenth of what we have now for lawyers, at best. Too many frivolous lawsuits and shysters, by far.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 9:25 pm,
As the famous remark by the plotter of treachery in Shakespeare's King Henry VI shows - "The first thing we must do is kill all the lawyers," - the surest way to chaos and tyranny even then was to remove the guardians of independent thinking.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 9:35 pm,
But then on the other hand, if it wasn't for lawyers, we wouldn't need lawyers. They are a self perpetuating profession. The only good lawyer is the one that's representing you at the time. In some cases even that's debatable.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 9:38 pm,
I don't know that having a 75 percent cut in doctors would be a good idea. It would drive up the cost of the remaining 25 percent just because they would be in greater demand. I've seen a lot of poor lawyers over the years but never a poor doctor.
Sean - May 20, 2009, 9:41 pm,
Speaking of self-perpetuating professions ... I merely mention: soldiers.
Haarakkon - May 20, 2009, 9:44 pm,
I don't advocate the elimination of lawyers. I only think there are far more of them than is necessary. My niece (a lawyer) is employed, seemingly, only to create employment for other lawyers.
Haarakkon - May 20, 2009, 9:49 pm,
Doctors (in the West) have learned that there is no profit in curing illness.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 10:09 pm,
Sean - Are you trolling me?
Mark - May 20, 2009, 10:10 pm,
We need lawyers...we need doctors...and we need soldiers.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 10:13 pm,
I think doctors have found that as long as the insurance money keeps coming in, they can keep a person alive. I've seen hundreds of lawyers keep asking for a continuance only because they hadn't been paid yet. Judges, being lawyers themselves, grant...
Mark - May 20, 2009, 10:13 pm,
...continuances because at one time they were in the same place.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 10:15 pm,
Soldiers are necessary to protect and defend. Unfortunately they have become a tool of politicians and an extension of their will.
Haarakkon - May 20, 2009, 10:22 pm,
Mark, it's a moot point. I absolutely agree that we need people in all of these professions. Where I differ is that I don't feel we need quite so d*** many. Let the lawyers build a commune, who feeds them? And if we reduced the h** coffee lawsuits in our
Haarakkon - May 20, 2009, 10:26 pm,
social structures, maybe doctors wouldn't have to charge nearly as much as they do.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 10:30 pm,
I totally agree. I'm just rambling on. Most of the cost of medical care is due to the high cost of medical malpractice insurance. Juries are constantly awarding large sums of money to undeserving plaintiffs because some lawyer make a mountain out of a...
Mark - May 20, 2009, 10:30 pm, guessed it, a mole hill.
Haarakkon - May 20, 2009, 10:39 pm,
You were starting to worry me there. I thought maybe you were going all ACLU on me.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 10:43 pm,
Although I tend to be a "Rabid Republican" I don't believe that EVERYTHING the ACLU does is bad. But much of what they do goes against common sense.
Sean - May 20, 2009, 10:47 pm,
Lawyers ... only hired by other ... lawyers? Wait, that can't be right. It must be all those lawyers they put on the juries, then ... no, somethin's not right about that either.
Mark - May 20, 2009, 10:51 pm,
WTFO - May 21, 2009, 12:37 am,
Not to redirect the conversation too much (back towards the actual poster), but did anyone else hear that Barney Frank is proposing a bill that the Federal Govt bail out CA's debt? The state bones their budget and the other 49 have to pay for it!
Jmac0585 - May 21, 2009, 10:18 am,
Healthcare costs would go through the floor IF hospitals were treated like any other business, and allowed to serve only those that could pay. If the Govt wants a Govt run hospital that treats anyone, fine with me. Ask the vets about the V.A. Hospitals.
WTFO - May 22, 2009, 12:43 am,
I haven't been to the VA yet, but I'll tell you that the service some on active duty gets sucks. They slow rolled my initial diagnosis so much that my problem has deginerated into a major issue that could need surgery.
sandwiches - September 20, 2009, 7:35 am,
Because illegals can get free college education, free food, welfare, or non-emergency free medical care. Oh wait, they can't. Nah. Don't shift the blame, dear wannabe patriots. The blame rests firmly on irresponsible American citizens milking the system.
Haarakkon - September 20, 2009, 12:39 pm,
Shhh. Don't let my secret out. INS might catch me and start making me pay for my food.
WTFO - September 20, 2009, 7:01 pm,
Sandwiches, I don't know what dream world you live in but illegals in CA get massive amounts of entitlement program dollars and they are milking the system dry along with Am. citizens milking entitlments programs. The blame lies on DC for not protecting
WTFO - September 20, 2009, 7:01 pm,
our borders from the invasion of those who refuse to obey the law and enter this country legally.
eldiabloloco - October 2, 2010, 3:47 pm,
True very True Arizona has the right idea ty for the reality check 5/5
agdaniele - October 2, 2010, 3:55 pm,
Please refrain from discussing politics here. We do not allow it anymore. However, there is a great deal to be seen and said on our sister site: - thank you!