Obamas break protocol, again, by touching the queen.

Creator: Toussaint

agdaniele - April 2, 2009, 7:44 pm,
Should we impeach Obama, or just get on with our lives?
Oh My God - April 2, 2009, 11:50 pm,
Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God! The world is ending!
Mark - April 2, 2009, 11:54 pm,
Queenie didn't mind too much. After all, they did give her ab iPod.
agdaniele - April 3, 2009, 2:24 am,
Hilarious, Mark! Always the optimist, you are!
Marduke - April 3, 2009, 10:04 am,
What do you actually give one of the richest people in England who happens to be a Queen that she wouldn't have seen before.
Bob Chin - April 3, 2009, 10:53 am,
Toussaint - April 3, 2009, 1:43 pm,
Giving an elderly person an electronic device is akin to the old VCR flashing 12:00 non-stop. Wasted gift.
Mark - April 3, 2009, 2:12 pm,
Marduke - I really don't blame BHO for the iPod gift. I'm sure he didn't trot his presidential b*** over to Best Buy and pick it out. He should fire his Chief of Protocol though. I think an appropriate gift would have been something historic. Maybe a...
Mark - April 3, 2009, 2:15 pm,
...bust of FDR to commemorate the time when our two countries stood united against Hitler. I'm sure the bust would have wound up in the same place the iPod will. Tucked away in some dark corner of Buckingham Palace.
Mark - April 3, 2009, 2:17 pm,
The iPod just lacks class. Something historic would have looked better to the media and the rest of the world. The iPod wasn't even made in the USA. It was a pretty lame gift.
Marduke - April 3, 2009, 2:32 pm,
I disagree. Partly what was loaded on there showed a personal touch of her prior trip to the US in 2007. I might be wrong, but I don't think it was the only thing that was given to her as well. Sure beats the autographed pics of the royals.
Mark - April 3, 2009, 2:39 pm,
It's hard to believe that we disagree. My opinion is that an iPod is not an appropriate gift between heads of state. I'd like to know who came up with the idea. Like you said, it had pics of her '07 trip so some thought went into it.
Marduke - April 3, 2009, 3:54 pm,
I dunno. I look at it from six of one-half a dozen of another. There's always gonna be a problem with what is given no matter what it is, coming from the right, left, or middle. Do you know what happens to the stuff that the POTUS is given?
Mark - April 3, 2009, 3:57 pm,
I feel it's important that I say again that I don't blame BHO for it. I say it again because I blame him for so many other things. I think all state gifts are inventoried and become the property of the US Govt. I know the POTUS isn't allowed to keep them.
Mark - April 3, 2009, 3:58 pm,
I seem to recall that this was a problem for Bill and Hillary when they left the White House. They didn't want to give any of the stuff back.
Mark - April 3, 2009, 4:02 pm,
Any gift not from a foreign official must be logged by the White House Gift Unit and managed by one of several domestic agencies, while gifts from foreign officials are managed by the State Department.
Mark - April 3, 2009, 4:04 pm,
Gifts are managed under the Foreign Gifts and Decorations Act of 1966, the Presidential Records Act of 1978, and subsequent amendments to both, while disclosure of gifts accepted by the president or First Lady must be disclosed on the Standard Form-278.
Mark - April 3, 2009, 4:04 pm,
Under the Code of Federal Regulations, these disclosures must identify the source and describe each gift, and estimate the value of any gift or gifts from the same source that aggregate to more than $260 in value.
Mark - April 3, 2009, 4:19 pm,
In looking for the procedures regarding these gifts, I ran across a 1998 article about the gifts Bill gave Monica just before the Paula Jones trial and how he tried to get them back so it wouldn't look like he was trying to influence her testimony.
Marduke - April 3, 2009, 5:03 pm,
Thanks Prof. Mark. Now I learned something new for today. I thought the POTUS couldn't keep gifts, but you have gone the extra mile in letting me know.
Mark - April 3, 2009, 5:04 pm,
It's my pleasure sir. I enjoy looking up stuff I don't know.
Kitters - May 12, 2009, 9:03 pm,
I don't see the problem here. The queen was not offended at all, apparently, and put her arm right back around her.
Skylar - May 23, 2009, 9:13 pm,
I think they're forgiven, and I also think they're the smartest couple to live in the white house in quite awhile. Watch your mouth.
Hendo - June 1, 2009, 12:36 am,
A particularly abhorent Australian prime minister was duly called 'The Lizard of Oz' by the British press for daring to lay a hand on Her Majesty
Sean - August 29, 2009, 2:55 am,
I'm with bOB cHIN on this one. Give the queen herpes. Now I'd volunteer for the job, but I have it on good authority that herpes-wise I'm shootin' blanks.
faulty switch - August 29, 2009, 2:59 am,
i think the Obama's are retarded! oops... silly me. i wasnt watching my mouth. mybad skylar.
Sean - August 29, 2009, 3:06 am,
ok you and skylar get a room already. you can watch each others mouths all you want then.
Mooooooooooooooooooo - October 17, 2009, 9:54 am,
I bet your Mother is really proud of you f***stick.